NOTE: It is more advisable that you do all your shopping in Kampala when planning to travel upcountry because some of the items can not be found upcountry and if found, they are usually slightly expensive.
SHOPPING POINTS IN KAMPALA.
- Garden City. Found on Yusuf Lule Road.Come here for electronics, eatables, phones, etc.
- Oasis Mall. Between centenary park and Yusuf Lule road.
- Freedom City Shopping Mall.Najjamnankumi,near Namasuba,Afrter Stella on Kampala-Entebbe Road.
- Mutaasa Kafeero Plaza.
- The whole of Kampala Road.
- Shoprite Shopping Complex.
- Mukwano Shopping Center.For Clothes(mostly for children) and Jewellery
- Kikuubo.This is the economic powerhouse of the whole country because all the whole sale shops are found here .You can come here for whole sale in Food Stuffs(packaged foodstuffs) like tea leaves,posho,milk,sodas,rice,etc),Clothes,Spareparts,etc.
- Owino Market. Located near Kisenyi, this market is often famous for second hand clothes and is the source of second hand clothes for the whole country. Also food items can be found here.
- Nakasero Market. For many uptown city dwellers, this is an elite food market for most people who want high quality fresh foodstuffs fresh from their respective gardens.
- Kalerwe Market. This is the only place in Kampala where you get food items for as low as 100 Uganda shillings .Note: During the rainy season, the heavy rains cause flooding in this area, making access to the area almost impossible.
- Kisekka market. Famous for Spare parts
- Nakawa market.Famous for second hand clothes and local food stuffs!
Quality Supermarket with its latest store in Ntinda and several others,has has a range of products but it is famous for Children’s toys, clothes especially for the kids.
Tuskys Supermarket – With two branches in Ntinda and Makerere but it is special because it also has cooked food ranging from beans, Matooke and Posho all warm and ready for you to take out.
Quality Supermarket has opened up a gigantic store in Lubowa village on Entebbe road and it is a must visit for the shoppers out there. Barclays Bank has a branch in that area, so no worries at all on cash shortage.
Uchumi is another one located at Garden City Complex on Yusuf Lule road, another branch on after Embassy Supermarket, another branch in Kabalagala,anotherone in Gulu and another one at Freedom City Shopping Mall in Namasuba,Najjanankumbi,Entebbe Road,the other branch is on Gabba Road in Kabalagala.This one stop center has electronics, groceries, clothes plus other miscellaneous items.
Kenjoy supermarkets, found on Entebbe road Kenjoy closes around 10:00 PM. Kenjoy is singled out for shoppers on Entebbe road.
Shoprite-Lugogo Mall (closes around 7:00 PM ).
Shoprite (Main Branch). Located just a few centimeters from the old taxi park.
Payless Located in Bukoto between Radio Simba offices and Total Petrol Station, This is a well stocked departmental store with a pharmacy(the pharmacy also sells beauty items), bakery. They have people to help you with your purchased items to the waiting car.
Capital Shoppers – One of the supermarkets around town on Dastur Street next to Tourist Hotel Kampala. Capital Shoppers has opened up it’s newest branch in Ntinda after the branch with a conveyor belt connecting the basement and the first floor adjacent to Makerere University Business School(MUBS) on old portbell road.
Game – Located at Lugogo,near Shoprite.
This is a gigantic complex for household items, electronics, gymnasium equipment, furniture.It is an authority on household items.
Embassy Supermarket – On your way to Gaba and Kasanga another place not bound to let your shopping down.The Upper floor is well stocked with toys, gift items, plus general merchandise on the lower floor.
Nakumatt.Found on Oasis Mall,Jinja Road. This the one stop store for phones, electronics and food stuffs.