Burundi has been a victim of ethnic conflict, but at last, there is peace although it is still young. Burundi is blessed with soaring mountains, languid lakeside communities and stunning scenery
Bujumbura misty city is well placed at the shore lines of Lake Tanganyika and just outside the city there are some of the finest inland beaches on the continent.
The stunning scenery and warmth of the Burundians exceeds your expectations. You have several alternatives to choose from; from the actual source of the Nile, the ancient forest of Kibira National Park or the spot where Stanley was reported to have uttered those timeless words “Dr Livingstone I presume?”
Tourism in Burundi is beginning to develop and Burundi is gearing to be a player in the international tourism market.
And with Burundi now member of the EAC, there are other benefits it will enjoy as a result of being part of this bigger community.
BURUNDI HAS BEEN WINNING IN TOURISM EXIBITIONS OVER THE WORLD IN THE LAST 3 YEARS.
Travel Requirements to Burundi.
If you’re a citizen of Australia, Britain, Canada and any Other EU country, you will require a passport valid for at least six months, and with at least one blank page, return ticket and by the way, a Visa.
A yellow fever certificate, ongoing journey, an invitation or hotel booking, two passport photos and €60 in cash are needed.
Tourist visas are issued for one month. It is renewable up at PAFE (Police de l’Air, des Frontières et des Etrangers: Border police) in Bujumbura.
Passengers arriving at Bujumbura airport from countries where Burundi does not have diplomatic representation can obtain visas on arrival provided they have previously informed their travel agency of their passport number, identity and flight details. This costs $80.
Those who are in express transit to a third country within 72 hours may also be able to obtain a visa upon arrival. However, where possible, it is advisable to obtain a visa before travel.
Note: Nationals not referred to above are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements.
Types and cost:
A one-month single-entry visa for Burundi costs US$90.
A transit visa is not required for passengers continuing their journey to a third country if staying up to 24 hours, providing they hold valid onward documentation, and do not leave the airport.
Applications should be made as far as possible in advance of the intended date of departure. An express fee of US$25 can be available.
Visa Application Requirements for US citizens.
- Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay, with at least one blank visa page available for visa stamp(s). Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for visa stamps.
- Three signed Burundi visa application forms plus one copy. Improperly completed Burundi visa application forms may delay the processing of your Burundi visa.
- 3 recent 2 x 2 passport type photographs in full-color, front view and with a plain/white background.
- Letter from employer or sponsoring company in the US, on company letterhead, introducing the applicant, indicating the applicant’s employment status/position held in the company, and clearly stating the purpose of visit. The business letter must also indicate who will be financially responsible for the applicant and must provide detailed contact information in host country.
- Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or travel agency or copy of airline tickets.
- International certificate of vaccination against Yellow Fever.
- Visas are usually valid for one month based on the consulate’s discretion.
- Visas are usually processed in 4 working days. Rush and Emergency service may be available for additional fees.Rush and Emergency service is defined as any attempt made by Travisa to retrieve the visa in less time than the amount required by the embassy to process the visa.
- In order to ensure that visa applications for most embassies/consulates are received on the day that you submit them, they should be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight (not First Overnight or Standard Overnight).
Non-refundable tickets or reservations should not be purchased until all visas and passports are secured and in your possession.
If traveller intends to pass through immigration, a transit visa may be required. Please confirm with your travel agent or airline to determine if the itinerary is for direct airside transit. A visa is not required for direct airside transit through this destination. The traveller must be in possession of a valid passport and onward ticket, and must remain in the airport’s transit area.
Burundi Visa Application Procedures.
- Review instructions based on the purpose of journey to Burundi
- Complete, print and sign all visa application forms, including Travisa’s Global Reservation Form
Send all of the visa application requirements listed above to Travisa.
VISA VALIDITY: Usually, business or tourist visa is valid up to three (3) months from the issue date. However, you can stay only up to 30 or 60 days at a time in Burundi. If you need to stay longer, you can renew visa while you are in Burundi. Please contact local immigration authorities.
NON-US PASSPORT HOLDERS: If you’re non-US passport holder, you’ll pay different consular fees for visas:
- The visa fee for 30-Day stay Single and multiple entries is $40.
- The visa fee for 60-Day stay Single and multiple entries is $80.
|Type of visa||Valid up to||Consular fee||Service fee||Total cost|
|Tourist single||3 months (max. stay-30 days)||$80||$39||$119|
|Tourist multiple||3 months (max. stay-30 days)||$80||$39||$119|
|Tourist single||3 months (max. stay-60 days)||$160||$39||$199|
|Tourist multiple||3 months (max. stay-60 days)||$160||$39||$199|
|Business single||3 months (max. stay-30 days)||$80||$59||$139|
|Business multiple||3 months (max. stay-30 days)||$80||$59||$139|
|Business single||3 months (max. stay-60 days)||$160||$59||$219|
|Business multiple||3 months (max. stay-60 days)||$160||$59||$219|
The Processing time is for the above visas is 4 Days